Thursday, October 18, 2012

Half Moon Run - Dark Eyes

Up until the day of the show I was completely prepared to defend this album as my top choice. It has all the elements of a great album: a great sound, variety of songs, and three incredible, solid "single" worthy songs.
The first track "Full Circle" had become a success on the Canadian Indie Radio circuit. Everyone was playing it! And everyone loved it! Did I? I thought it was acceptable, maybe not deserving of all the attention it was getting but regardless I thought it was a good song. After getting into the rest of the album for the first 5 songs or so I kind of thought to myself "This could be one of the greatest albums I ever heard," and when I finished I was certain without a doubt that I had just heard a great album. And then I listened again. And again. And again. And then I realized. This wasn't meant to be an "album", it was a collection of songs. Why else would it start with "Full Circle"? Dark Eyes is sequenced much like Dan Mangan's Nice, Nice, Very Nice, it gives people that don't know them a reason to keep listening by putting the singles all at the front and not ordering it as an album. This is one of the few flaws within Dark Eyes and I eagerly anticipate the next Half Moon Run album. Hopefully they'll win next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment