Thursday, July 26, 2012

Playlist July 26, 2012


     This is the first of what I’m hoping to make a weekly occurrence, where I post a playlist that I made myself and give tips on how to order and create your own.  I fancy myself somewhat of an amazing, spectacular, incredible, etc. creator of playlists so I hope my advice will help you make your own for any occasion.  Each week I will include the playlist I’ve made, the title I’ve chosen, and a Youtube link to the portion of the playlist that I talk about in my tip. I would just put the whole playlist on Youtube, but it would be common for me not to find all of them.

Changing Places
The Blueprint (Live) – Arkells*
The Only Place – Best Coast
Out On the Shield – Said the Whale
New Goodbye – Hey Rosetta!
Amaze-Me-Jane – Parlovr
Morning Bird / Water Lines – Attack in Black
Windsor – Michou
Express Yourself – N.W.A.**
O My Heart – Mother Mother
The Maid Needs A Maid – Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton
Guilty Cubicles – Broken Social Scene
*Works best if you cut the final about 20 seconds
**I used the second version of this that is on the reissue, but either version works.

     Ordering tip #1 – I always start my playlists with either an upbeat song that’s not very dense texturally, or with a song that eases the listener into the playlist.  What you choose entirely depends on what kind of playlist you’re going for and what the next songs are.  Here I have the Best Coast song second and I know that it kind of eases into itself so I wanted something that set an energetic tone for the playlist.  If you were to choose a song such as Hayloft by Mother Mother to go second you’d need something that built and had very little dead air at the end of it. Context is everything.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment